Tips in Fixing a Crawl Space
Crawl Space Access- Your access to your crawl space will certainly determine a number
1. Comfort and ease in getting in as well as out (that you will be undertaking a whole lot of during the repair
2. Convenience or problems in getting the actual material directly into the crawl space
3. In the event that outside, the actual amount of dirt/mud which may end up on top of your vapor
barrier following the install.
4. If inside, the actual amount of dirt/mud which will end up in your own house if not really properly
Obviously this is an crucial factor in the convenience of the work
If the height is actually much less that 18" your work will end up being very difficult if not impossible.
Be careful of heating ducts, they have razor-sharp edges. The lower the actual head height the more bodily
challenging the work will be.
Health & Safety Safeguards
Put on a good quality respirator- this will certainly end up being uncomfortable but may safeguard your lungs
from airborne dirt and dust, mold spores, fiberglass, and bacterial in the actual air.
Do not operate in standing water, It might end up being contaminated and make you sick or it might end up being
an electrical shock hazard
Be careful not to over heat if the installation of in the summer time - Consume plenty of drinking water
Continue to keep a look out with regard to electrical wires lying upon the floor - In the event that they are
uncovered then you may want to get in touch with an electrician.
Check the actual foundation to discover of there is a white colored powder on it, this indicates water issues.
The whitened powder is efflorescence Not really Mold.
Check for big cracks or damaged places, you will need to repair this particular prior to you encapsulating the
Check the foundation for water, damp areas or moisture build-up or condensation; you may have to drill holes in
order to release any kind of water. If this is existing you may need to set up a drain system.
Take a look all around the crawl space for water tanks, a furnace or other items that require to be worked
around. If you take photos of these we can show you how to manage all of them.
Supports that hold up your house will require to be worked around with vapor barrier.
Wet insulation must come out there, this is the the majority of common reason fiberglass insulation drops from
the crawl space ceiling. If you have an odor issue then the existing insulating material must come out in order
to completely extinguish the problem
New insulation at the edge (or band) joist will help maintain your heating system expenses down as well as
insure you have kicked out any kind of rodents living there.
Depending on your area and quantity of foundation wall above grade you might want to put in rigid insulating
material on the foundation walls. Check your local building code for the accurate information on insulation
in a crawl space in your own state.
To completely handle the moisture within the crawl space the vents Should be closed once and for all.
An 8" x 16" concrete block will certainly fit nicely into the vent hole. Use cement caulk to seal the
actual edges of the block.
If that is not a good option, you can easily make use of rigid foam insulating material to seal the vent coming
from the inside. CAUTION, Rodents and other animals can chew through the foam insulation, therefore only use
this option of all else fails
Have you actually had water within your crawl space?
Unless you look within your crawl space at least two times a week, every week a person cannot be accurate in
addressing this particular questing. It is actually less dangerous, simpler and less expensive to add a drain
system Prior to the encapsulation. You do not want to find out there there is actually a problem once you have
got a swimming pool after all of your own hard work
Take precise measurements, this in particular will help save you a monetary heart ache later on.
1. You will need the length of ALL the walls, not an estimate
2. You will need the height of all the walls or the height of the tallest wall
3. You will need to know how many supports there are and how far from the walls
4. You will need to know how many foundation vents you have
2. Utility knife with many blades (10-25 on average)
3. Lights - 250 watt works well. 500 watt are very hot and can melt the vapor barrier.
4. Extension cords
5. 7/16 socket for sump basin lid
6. Hammer drill for the Foundation Pins- not a drill with a hammer feature, this is important so you do not
damage your foundation and/or work harder than you need to.
7. Other companies say that mechanical fasteners are not needed - This information is WRONG. Every professional
company uses a mechanical fastener, if this step could be skipped we would skip it ourselves
8. Small shovels
9. Small pick- for digging hard earth
10. Reciprocating saw- cut PVC for sump and cutting roots
11. Hammer - to tap in Foundation Pins™
12. PVC glue - Plumbing sump pump
13. Tape Measure
14. Small hand brooms - prepping walls for Foundation Seal Tape and clean up
15. Wire hangers or zip ties for cables or phone lines that hang down or touch the ground
17. Garbage Bags
* Much of the content in this website used by
permission of CrawlSpace Concepts LLC
Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved Halliker's, Inc.